Yes, it’s been quiet up in here. As you can imagine, I’m working through my issues about getting fired and starting a business. Some days are easier than others.
In the midst of these periods of internal chaos, I’m trying to remember to look for the things in my life and in the world at large that are working. So here, in no particular order, are a few of my favorite things in this moment.
1. In ‘N’ Out Burger. This fast food chain is really amazing. Not only do they have excellent burgers, their service is outstanding. All their employees seem to have been plucked from the It’s a Small World ride at Disneyland, they are just so damn happy and helpful. Sometimes I wonder if they slip some reefer in the meat. Or maybe they blow opiates through the vents late at night. Who knows?
2. Being validated by the latest issue of InStyle magazine. There were at least 6 items in the January 2007 issue of InStyle that made me think I am actually more fashion- and beauty-conscious than I give myself credit for. Why? Because they were things I already do as part of my beauty and/or fashion regimen. Ahh, it’s good to be validated.
3. The Pursuit of Happyness. I saw this movie on Saturday night. It’s truly a testament to the power of manifestation and focused intention.
4. My friends. They really care about me, even when I am being an asshole. They will actually tell me I am being an asshole and give me a list on how to stop being one. That’s love, man.
5. Astrology. What with all this free time I have, I’ve been studying astrology a lot more. It’s fascinating to take someone’s natal chart and see how the chart correlates with their personality.
6. A good latte or mocha. Yes, I admit I am partial to Starbucks. It was their peppermint mocha that opened up a whole new world of beverage options for me. But I am open to other coffeehouses. Tanner’s Coffee in Playa del Rey makes a damn fine latte.
7. Gas. My desire to be warm & cook pasta and bake cookies overcame my intense hatred of the City of Long Beach’s utilities department, so I got the gas turned back on 2 weeks ago. It’s been nice to cook my favorite breakfast (turkey bacon, scrambled eggs, sauteed mushrooms, chopped tomatoes, and warm corn tortillas) and have homemade chocolate chip cookies. And be warm at night.
8. K., my 2 1/2-year-old cousin/quasi-niece. She is the cutest kid in America. She looks like Cindy Lou Who from How the Grinch Stole Christmas. And she is so smart, too. I think she knows more 3-syllable words than me. This is what happens when you come from 2 generations of teachers on both sides of the family.
9. Instead. Ladies, this feminine hygiene product is freakin’ ingenious. Once you try this you will never want to use tampons or pads again. I have finally converted my girl T. to Instead and my old buddy S. may make the switch soon too. Click here to find out more.
10. Peacefulness. Even though I am sometimes scared about what lies ahead, it is so nice to not have to deal with the drama and chaos from my job anymore, including rush hour traffic on the 405.