Today is a New Moon in Virgo: a moment when two feminine energies – the mother Moon and the virgin Virgo – join together to create an emotionally resonant bond.
I always think of the goddess Demeter in connection with Virgo. Demeter was the Greek goddess of agriculture and fertility, as well as health, childbirth and the harvest. Like the sign of Virgo, the virgin maid, Demeter was often depicted holding a sheaf of wheat.
The most famous myth about Demeter involves the abduction of her daughter Persephone by Hades, the lord of the underworld. She was so overcome with grief that fields went barren and famine ravaged the land. It wasn’t until Zeus helped negotiate Persephone’s visitation agreement between Demeter and Hades that she finally turned her attention back to the harvest, averting what would have been a huge catastrophe for humanity.
One could say that when the Moon is in Virgo, it’s like the reunion of Demeter and Persephone: mother and daughter come together for a short time to renew their connection, work the land, and plan for their next visit. In this case, that would be at the Full Moon in Virgo, which takes place on February 27, 2021. For us earth-dwellers, that means the goals and plans we make at this new moon will be at a key stage of their development in nearly six months’ time.
Moon in Virgo
When the Moon is in Virgo, it weds the Moon’s instincts for self-care and nurturing with Virgo’s love of ritual and routine. This placement feels emotionally met when it is focused on usefulness. It may not always seem particularly touchy-feely, but its goal is finding bliss in practical pursuits. The Virgo Moon is the mom who says, “If you make your bed in the morning, it will feel so much more comfy and inviting when you’re ready to go to sleep.” And once you take her advice, you discover she was right.
This New Moon in Virgo is about developing practical approaches to daily living that also feed the soul. Here are some areas where the Virgo New Moon encourages development, and a few concrete ideas on how to use this energy:
- Establishing new, healthy habits
- Add 15 more minutes to your current workout routine
- Eat 4-5 cups of vegetables a day
- Drink more water
- Meditate daily for 10 minutes
- Go to bed at a regular time
- Take a 24-hour break from electronic devices once a week
- Organizing some aspect of your daily life
- Use mind mapping to plan a project
- Clean out a closet
- Make a meal plan for the week
- Unsubscribe from all the emails you signed up for, but never read
- Set up recurring task lists – there are plenty of apps to help with this process
- Start a bullet journal – it does not need to be fancy, just practical and organized
- Being of service
- Send cards to seniors and care homes to lift their spirits – there are several Facebook groups that can help you find where to send cards
- Check in on a neighbor
- Write a letter to someone to express your appreciation for them
- Volunteer at a community organization
- Donate time or funds to a charity
- Spread good news and positive content on your social media feeds
I hope this Virgo New Moon opens up some possibilities in how you organize and plan for your future!