I love reading stories like this: A couple in Nova Scotia, Canada won the lottery and gave away 98% of their winnings.
I’m sure there are folks who cannot fathom this level of generosity, especially when the wife is undergoing cancer treatment. But in a world obsessed with money and consumerism this is a beautiful example of paying it forward regardless of one’s own circumstance.
What good news have you read or heard about today?
A few weeks ago, I sent this postcard to a dear friend of mine who I knew would appreciate the sentiment stated on the card. Then I considered how happiness is so many, many things, and not just consuming chocolate. So I whipped out my extra-fine-point Sharpie and got to work adding more to the card. Below you’ll find my extended definition of happiness.
- having a glass of really good wine
- reading a wonderful novel in front of a roaring fire on a cold day
- a hearty belly laugh with a friend
- a cat sleeping in your lap
- listening to a rainstorm from a covered porch
- singing really loudly with the car radio with all the windows down while sitting in traffic
- getting a great pedicure and a massage
- the smell of suntan lotion on your skin
- unexpected money in the mail
- fresh ripe berries that you picked yourself
- a perfectly blended Arnold Palmer with just the right amount of ice
- seeing someone you love fall in love for the first time
- hearing a new mother sing to her baby
- the crack of a metal bat against a baseball at a Little League game
- being greeted by a tail-wagging dog when you come home from a long day
- sneaking out at midnight to skinny dip
- catching fireflies with a 7-year-old
- seeing your favorite painting in person for the first time
- the smell of a barbecue
- the anticipation of fireworks on Independence Day
- being kissed under a starry sky
- having someone tell you the positive influence you had on their life
- a Popsicle dripping on your hand when it’s 99 degrees
- getting fun cards in your mailbox
What makes you happy?